Saturday, July 21, 2007

More Things We Won't Be Doing in Finland

As we walked back to the hotel from dinner, several sights reminded us of some more things we won't be doing in Finland. These are all Finnish activities.
  • Eating at the world's most northern McDonalds . The Rovaniemi McDonalds has this dubious honour. Perhaps it should suffer the same fate as Starbucks in Beijing. We are not in a very strong moral position to comment on this as we did eat Chinese tonight. We did consider the stir fried reindeer but just could not quite bring ourselves to it.
  • Playing in the Swamp Soccer World Championship. We will have to admit to watching this on Finnish tv and we will certainly not be competing. The only "sport" that could match it would be the world bog snorkelling championship held in Wales. Bog Man would be a natural for this!
  • Competing in the mobile phone throwing championship. Again I will have to admit that my Finnish Nokia has nearly driven me to it a few times.
  • Enter the world championship in crowbar walking
  • Suffer the world sauna championship
  • Attend the Festival of Twangy Guitar Music
  • Participate in the Aqua Jogging World Championship
  • Attend the Kurikka Matchmaking Festival
  • and finally visit the Lordi Rockaurant that we saw on our way home tonight.

4 comments:

theotherbear said...

I think I have tried stir fried reindeer. Unless I dreamt it. It was a bit tough anyway, whether in my dream or real.

None of those things sound terribly fabulous. Particularly BOG SNORKELING!!! HAHA!

Miss Di said...

We had venison on Saturday which must be similar to reindeer. As bulgogi which is stir fried. Yummy! Yep, I'll eat Skippy, Rudolph, the Easter Bunny...

I think I saw bogsnorkling on the Great Outdoors once. I agree, it didn't look great.

Unknown said...

Russell Crowe rewrote the old East London classic song, new title: "Nokia - in the Old Kent Road"

Anonymous said...

Matchmaking festival - do they match men and women, or do they actually make matches?